Sunday, April 26, 2009

NFL Draft and the Dallas Cowboys

Dallas traded away the team's only pick in this year's draft yesterday. That certainly took away must of the interest in the draft for me.

It has been a very active off-season. Jon Kitna was acquired and T.O. and Roy Williams, the saftey, were released. Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher were not hired to replace Wade Phillips.

Kitna's acquisition is certainly an upgrade at backup QB and, while I have been a fan of Tony Romo's since he became the man, I now have a nagging doubt that makes me wish Dallas had moved up to get Mark Sanchez.

I cannot let go of the shot of Romo smiling from ear to ear on the field during a break in the action in the season finale while Philadelphia was kicking his ass and knocking the Cowboys out of the playoffs. For a team that started the year with such high expectations, watching the QB act like going home instead of going to the playoffs has really made doubt Romo is the guy who will take Dallas to the Super Bowl.

As I write this, on day two of the draft, Dallas has attempted to address needs in CB, WR and Safety by drafting a linebacker and a defensive end. I am not saying these guys can't play or that they are bad picks, but these positions are important and Dallas needs help there in a big way. I miss Jimmy Johnson.

No comments: