Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Doyle's Room

At this time of morning before Senator Frist sneaked an amendment into the Safe Port Act (the Unlawful Internet Gaming Enforcement Act) in an attempt to stop online gaming, I often found myself up because of trouble sleeping. I often found myself playing tournaments at Doyle's Room.
Each day on an almost hourly basis, Doyle' Room would have several small and micro buy-in tournaments. These tourneys were great because under the tourney structure used on the site at the time (5 minute blind levels) and coupled with the fact that the tourneys would attract somewhere between 25-70 players, the tourneys could be played to completion in about an hour and a half.
I was surprised when Doyle's Room left the American market after passage of the UIGEA. I was very happy when Doyle's Room re-entered the market and began accepting American players again. Unfortunately, the time away has really taken away a lot of what made playing at Doyle's Room appealing.
The number of players has been down. The tourneys which offered many chances to play at the lower limits, whether in hold em, Omaha (both hi and 8b) and other forms are mostly gone. A site that had many choices for the tourney player earlier now has almost no selection now. These tourneys were offered without guarantees so I am surprised with the site's decision to cut back on the schedule drastically.
I have a lot of respect for Doyle Brunson and always root for him when he is playing. I know he doesn't run the site but it is sad to see the site he is associated with make decisions that do nothing to make the site better.

No comments: